October 7, 2009
Today marks 2 weeks since we have been home! I can't believe it! Time is definitely flying by. I will try to catch everyone up (especially those not living nearby).
The day after we got home I took Johan to school and got him registered. He was very nervous. The counselor (Mrs. Bozick) knows our family (she actually worked in my elementary school way back when!) - she is a wonderful person. She took us on a tour of the school, introduced Johan to the teachers and showed him where he would be. His only comment was 'it's big' after stopping in the gymnasium. The highlight of the day was that we found out there is a bi-lingual student in his class, Gabe. Mrs. Bozick pulled Gabe from class and asked him to translate for us on the tour. Since that time they have paired Johan and Gabe in class so Gabe can assist Johan when necessary.
Johan works with an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher each morning then goes to class with the kids throughout the day. For the last hour of the day he is with a Spanish-speaking teacher who helps him with translation needs. He is adjusting very well and seems to like school. Getting out of bed at 5:45 and on the school bus at 6:30 is another story! We bought him an alarm clock and put it across the room - but he doesn't even hear it! I have to send the hounds in to pounce on him and get him out of bed. It's so early!
We spend the afternoon and evenings playing outside a bit (frisbee with the dogs and basketball seem to be the favorites right now) then working on any homework and sometimes watching a little TV. Johan saw America's Funniest Home Video's last night - which he found absolutely hilarious. He was doubled over laughing - which cracked us up. We usually end the day reading (he's into Harry Potter {in Spanish} right now). We also have some 'I Can Read' books in English that we have been reading together. His English gets better every day.
That's all for now. I hope you are having a great day.
Carrie
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm glad that you gave us an update! Thanks again for your help with the information about Ibague.
Post a Comment