Friday, November 6, 2009

A Mind Like a Steel Trap

We're approaching the 6 week mark of our homecoming. I thought I would share some of our adventures to date.

We've spent a lot of time visiting with friends and family - catching up and introducing Johan to everyone. Tia Lee Anna is the event planner these days! Several weeks ago she planned a pumpkin carving party. My friend Michele and her two boys joined us as well as a few family members. Lots of food and fantastic pumpkins!
Johan chose a very intricate pattern and he had the patience to complete it! (I know I would have given up half way through!) It was definitely his first pumpkin carving. Afterwards he, Connor and Luke played wiffle ball and soccer.

Tia Lee Anna also planned an outing for us to see the Columbus Crew - Soccer! We had a great time and can't wait to go back next season.



After much deliberation Johan finally decided on a scary mask for Halloween. Trick-or-Treat night he wasn't too keen on going door to door. He was leery of the language barrier (afraid people would talk to him). We lit a fire in our portable fire pit in the driveway and hung out for awhile - then Tom coaxed him to go to our neighbors house. We live on a culdesac so there weren't very many other children around (I think we had a total of 9 trick-or-treaters). Johan wasn't crazy about going door to door but he sure was happy with all of the candy he received! (the neighbors were VERY generous). Typical kid - he came home and promptly dumped all of the candy on the floor and counted it - 72 pieces. He also took great joy in scaring a few little kids that came down the street...

School is going well. He occasionally has homework. Luckily Tom can help him with the math and I assist with the science and social studies (we'd be in trouble if I had to help with the math!). We also have reinforcements across the street - our neighbor Mrs. Luken used to teach math!

Johan's English improves every day. We continue to work with him and try to find new ways for him to experience the language. He's definitely still shy in speaking to others but he tries with us and his comprehension is increasing.

He seems to have a mind like a steel trap. He remembers just about everywhere we went last summer when he was with us for 6 weeks. He is constantly pointing out places or remembering situations that occurred during that short period of time. Stuff that I had forgotten...

Today in the car the song 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' by Bonnie Tyler came on. I started to change the station and he asked me to stop. He told me it was a song they played in Colombia - I groaned. Of all the American songs to make it to another country! Johan, in the meantime, sang his heart out...(to my brothers: we're going to have to work on his music preferences...)

One more story...
Last Sunday it frosted. When Johan looked out the window he said 'what's that' and pointed at the ground. I think he thought it was snow at first. So I did my best to explain 'frost'. He was amazed. When we left to go to church he ran out to the front yard and scraped his hands across the grass to feel the frost. Of course, he immediately ran back and put his cold hand on me to get a rise out of me!

I share this story because while we missed out on many firsts - first words, first time he walked, first foods, etc. - we still have our own version of 'firsts' and we're doing our best to cherish them all. It's interesting seeing your world through the eyes of a 12 year old who has yet to experience many of these things. The challenge - as in all of life - is to make sure we take the time to soak it in.

To the California family - Johan is very much looking forward to our visit over Thanksgiving. He has no idea what Thanksgiving is but he is very excited about the travel adventure! Yesterday we were looking up everyone's address on Google Maps so he could see where we are going. Can't wait to see you all!

Carrie

No comments: