Monday, August 31, 2009

Preparations and Travel

August 30, 2009

I am writing this at 35,010 feet over Cuba. We have another 2 hours and 47 minutes until we touch down in Bogota. I feel so unprepared! An entire year of paperwork and preparations and now I feel unprepared! I suppose this is the nervousness setting in.

Today has been an adventure. It started out mellow with a soak in the hot tub, breakfast at Waffle House (much to my chagrin and Tom’s delight) and a quick stop by the Laundromat to make sure all was well. Then all of a sudden it seemed we were running out of time. Lot’s of last minute tasks to complete but we got it all done just in the nick of time (it was tough packing for an undetermined amount of time and two different climates). Off to the airport at 10a.m. for a noon flight. All seemed to be going smoothly until Mother Nature decided to interfere with storms in Atlanta. We sat on the airplane for an hour on the ground until we pulled back in the gate and they let us deplane. We finally reloaded a little after 2 and took off at 2:45p.m. (thank goodness). We arrived in Atlanta with about 35 minutes to spare. As we were riding on the escalator to the trains it dawned on me that they often close international flights 30 minutes in advance. As we were climbing the escalator to our terminal we heard last call for our flight to Bogota. So Tom had to do the famous OJ Simpson through the airport – never a fun thing. But we made it – that’s the important part.

We had a good week getting everything aligned for our departure. My girlfriends threw me a surprise ‘kid’ shower a week ago Friday – complete with blue streamers, tons of gifts for Johan and yummy food. It was a nice surprise. Throughout the week the gifts for Johan kept pouring in from family. Everyone was so generous. The kid is going to be spoiled before he even gets to the States!

Tomorrow (Monday, August 31) is a big day. After our short stay in Bogota tonight we have a flight bright and early to Ibague in the morning. We will stay at Particia’s Place in Ibague – a type of Bed & Breakfast that caters to adoptive families. Patricia will be our guide and translator throughout our stay. She will pick us up in the morning and take us to her place to settle in. We then go to the ICBF at 11a.m. to get Johan. This of course will be a party!

I will close here for the day so I can work a bit on my Spanish. I have to figure out what I’m going to say to my new son!

Carrie

No comments: