We filed our I800A on December 4th. I had a few moments of panic when I logged onto USPS and it said that the documents were refused. It must have been a mistake because a day later there was a post that indicated someone signed for the papers. I just hated the thought of yet another delay! A week later we received notification for our appointment for the biometrics (whatever that may be). My understanding is it is just another set of fingerprints - this time for the USCIS (customs & immigration). We have to go to Columbus on Dec. 30 to have this done. We received this notice much faster than I was anticipating. We were being told the I800A approval was taking 90 days. So I was prepared to wait. But what I'm learning now is that the I800A moves quickly - but the I800 (which comes after) is the one taking so long. So are you now as confused as I???
The good news is that the agency told us we could start our dossier. Which makes me feel like we have progress!! Part of the dossier is a psychological evaluation so I've been searching for a psychologist who has experience in doing these for international adoption. After 4 negative responses we found a guy who said he does them. Unfortunately after one meeting we felt he wasn't the right fit so we have to keep searching. Last resort is an online psychologist - which should be interesting. It's hard to find someone who does international in this area.
We also have to have our fingers printed for the FBI (you would think the agencies would talk to each other!). These are done at our local police station then sent to the FBI. I called the police station who told us that we had to bring the cards to be printed on. I asked 'where do we get these cards' and they said from whoever wants the prints. Now is this crazy or what. We're supposed to call up the FBI - who have no idea we want prints - and get the cards to be finger printed on! Seems crazy to me. So I thought - well, let's try the Sherrif's department - after all - they fingerprinted us last spring for child abuse clearance before Johan arrived. They tell me that they no longer do paper prints - only electronic and that no one in the state of Ohio does paper prints any more (guess they don't talk to the Police much). They even told me that one of the people that works there recently adopted a child and they used electronic. Well, that may be - but our instructions are to have live prints on a card sent to the FBI. So now the wheels are turning - how the heck do we get this done. Then it hit me that we have a few friends on the police department. One of the guys (Duane) is the meter guy (favorite guy in town - giving out all those parking tickets). The other guy (Tom) is a police officer. We all happened to be gathered the other night for a Euchre party - so we hit them up for some help. And sure enough they said they could get it done for us - cards and all. We are going to hang out at the police station and get finger printed on Christmas Day (our officer friend happens to be on patrol that day). We may have him throw in a few mug shots too - just for fun (I'll get Tom to wear his santa hat).
This is the card we sent Johan today:
http://elfyourself.jibjab.com/view/pAHP1zU6CY16dNxo
Just copy and paste into a web browser and it should come up. The person you probably don't recognize (other than the elf) is Martha - Johan's social worker that was the chaperone for the kids this summer.
Merry Christmas,
Carrie
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment