Monday, December 29, 2008

Día de los Santos Inocentes -- Day of the Holy Innocents

Yesterday was Dia de los Santoas Inocentes in Colombia. I thought I would share some information I found about this day:
The 28th of December is the Día de los Santos Inocentes in Colombia. It is based on a Catholic holiday that commemorates the children, younger than 2 years of age, that were ordered killed by King Herod after the Three Wise Men did not return to tell Herod where the child king could be found.

This holiday is celebrated much in the way we here in the US celebrate April Fool's Day. It is a day for playing tricks on people, fake news reports, and jokes. On this day the Colombian newspaper, El Tiempo, publishes a sepcial insert called El Trompo which is filled with funny and fictious stories about current events.


I found the info on this new blog on one of the Yahoo groups:
http://raisingcolombiankids.blogspot.com/
It has some really good info especially about traditions, etc.

You'll notice the latest post contains directions on making Tamales which is a holiday tradition in Colombia. When Tom was going up he knew a Mexican family that made tamales every Christmas. He said it was quite a production. We stopped into a new Mexican store in town last week and asked if they were making tamales. The owner told us she wasn't making any but knew a lady who made some. So we received the call Saturday night to pick up our tamales. I think we have a new family tradition! Maybe next year we'll have to try making our own (seems like a daunting task!).

Carrie

No comments: